Thursday 27 December 2012

To review or not to review, that is the question!

Today I have had a bit of an epiphany!  I have been a terrible fan to all the writers whose work I adore.  I shall explain.  Well over 1000 copies of my Orion the Hunter serialized novel have been downloaded from Amazon in the last 10 days.  Yippee! I am very grateful to everyone who has bought a copy of The Hunter or The Hunted.  However, only two people have written reviews on Amazon.com and one person has written a review on Amazon.co.uk.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am delighted with these reviews (two 5 stars and a 4 star)- they are very good for my ego!! Only joking, this feedback is fantastic for a writer and yes, I am lucky that feedback has been all good so far.  On goodreads, 7 ratings (all 4/5 stars) but no text reviews.  And I find myself really wanting to know what people think.

Now I totally regret not writing reviews for the books that I adore.   I had never before realized the value of them to the author.  I have been selfish and I have learned a valuable lesson.  

I like the goodreads system where you can rate a book out of 5 stars without having to do a full on review.  This way, people who don't feel competent at reviewing or just don't have time (after all, who wants to waste valuable reading time, right?) can still give a basic opinion when they rate.  Amazon don't allow this.  I now wonder whether this is why there are so few reviews on Amazon compared with sales.

So, I hold my hands up as guilty and will endeavor to change my bad habit.  Should anyone who has read either of my books decide to review it honestly, I would be most humbly grateful.

J.D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment